Wednesday, October 20, 2010

2 Days To Go

In less than 48 hours i will be on the ground in Bonaire, assuming that I make all of my flights.  For those of you that don't know, Bonaire is a small island in the Southern Caribbean, and the site of my Master's Thesis work.  Bonaire is commonly known as a "Divers Paradise" and says so right on their license plates.


The University of Delaware conducted an AUV survey of the island in January of 2008 mapping many of the offshore reef sites.  I have been processing and analyzing this data for over a year and have never had the opportunity to visit my field site. As of Saturday, October 23rd that will all be changing.  I am traveling to the island for two weeks to perform ground-truthing of some of the shallow survey sites.  I will be using an Olympus underwater camera with an Ikelite Autoflash AF35 strobe attachment and a drop camera with a 300ft cable.

I'm planning to update this blog as regularly as possible while I'm away, but I'm not sure what my internet situation is going to be, so that may be a limiting factor.  Enjoy!

Finally, to make you jealous, here is the view that I will be enjoying for the next two weeks.
(Photo courtesy of http://www.pocruises.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment